Skip to main content

Moving




I’ve been through all these transformations
I’ve changed in ways I never thought possible
And sooner than I expected
I’m truly grateful… but…

I keep thinking back to the things that used to stop me
Maybe its just my environment that’s shaping me
Instead of my intrinsic qualities
Maybe its because I feel so comfortable here
That I can explore all that I want

I hate to admit it
I felt different there
I looked different
I spoke less freely

As much as it seems like home
I didn’t fully integrated with it
I thought ethnicity was a construct
But I feel its deeper than that

Even going back to it now
I can’t say that it doesn’t bother me
The extended stares
The “konnichiwa” at the airport

What if I carry this insecurity with me
Through countries that isn’t my mother country
Will I be as free-thinking
As I feel now?

In another world
I will feel different there
I will look different
I might not be as outspoken

Could I be as open-minded?
Could I be as creative?
I know there’s only one way to know
But I can’t say it doesn’t scare me


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is there an emotional brain? Pt.1(intro)

Is there an emotional brain? As much as we like simplicity in models of science, and the locationist view makes things easier for us to understand, research points to the answer that emotions are not localized to one specific brain region or circuit.  The limbic system hypothesis was put forth by Paul MacLean in the 1950s (although some theories led up to this prior such as the Papez circuit). It divides the more deeply fundamental structures with those that are thought to have developed further on in evolution, in ‘higher’ mammals. The limbic system is one component of the triune brain theory that divides the brain up into the neocortex, mammalian brain and reptilian brain. The reptilian brain is proposed to be in charge of responses for survival such as breathing and heart rate. The reptilian brain is called so due to its structures being found also in reptiles. The limbic system is thought to have developed later in evolution and is commonly thought to be the mammalian brain.

history

Sometimes I think to myself whether all of what we are searching for, will be frowned upon in the future, will be laughed at for all of our efforts As this may be some kind of crazy movement created by delusional people. But this shouldn't stunt us from the curiosities and the explorations within the world we are in now. Some beliefs in the past may seem crazy to us now... but this is just humans trying to explain the world from what they see, from the information that we have. And that is the hesitance that comes from scientists making a statement definitive. Because all of this 'truth' may not be so when future explorers look back at our work, But knowing that the reason they stand in their 'developed' position is because we did exploring for   them, into uncertain waters that are clear as ever to them in their present moment.

NeuroSci Ramble: Emotion that doesn't necessarily evoke change

I read in Cognitive Neuroscience  textbook today that emotion consists of three things: A physiological reaction A behavioral response and a feeling The second one had me a little confused. Sometimes I had experienced emotion and not acted on it. It had not changed my behavior. Recently before going to bed, I have fears of death and feel intense emotion associated with that. But I never acted on it in the moment. I had no reason to act. But in the long run it does change my overall behavior. Though this may be just a subjective experience. When intense negative emotion reflects on to behavior, that is when the problem arises. We will always have these negative experiences. That is reality. But how we deal with them is the control aspect of it.