Skip to main content

Selfishness

Ah, another demon inside me. A quite rather complicated one.

The social trend of 'self-care' focuses on self and putting yourself first. People, especially young people, are so affected by the opinions and values of people around them that they lose touch of their authentic self--what makes that individual unique, what they want to change in the world, what they truly want from this journey of life. There is a certain magical quality in looking within yourself what you sought to find in others' validation or external circumstances. It's learning to face that uncertainty, learning that it's okay, and digging deeper to find those core values that you've always had.

But with this comes the risk of misinterpreting this quest for individualism and independence. It's the path towards selfishness and habituation of self-serving actions that often makes our journey come to a dead end. And I definitely have approached this dead end many times.
Because when I used to think of introspection, I often neglected those around me and their opinions-- that included the closest people around me who have been by my side no matter what. I was so 'busy' in finding my purpose that when I finally came to realizations of what I wanted to do and the core fundamental motive behind that aspiration, it was to change the world, help other people and add positivity into this universe.

That's when I reached the ultimate paradox. What kind of arrogant ignorant person was I to think that reaching this grand goal would make me happy when I wasn't even practicing the fundamental motive in everyday life. In other words, it was contradicting of me to want to pursue a career that aimed to influence people's perspective of the world and 'add positive ways of thinking' to the world when I failed to practice even the basic level of empathy towards the people around me. There was something wrong here.

And gradually I began to saw the behavior of those people around me. Before, I used to think it was their problem, their personality wasn't 'friendly' enough or they were taking me for granted. Every single social interaction I had analyzed to the other person's inability to initiate or care for me (I think you can begin to see what's wrong here).
There was so much expectation. And not only that, it was ME based. Looking within myself, listening to my internal voice, I saw the selfishness of my whole viewpoint. How many times had I invited someone to hang out because I was feeling lonely and needed someone to rant to? How many times had I invited numerous people out so it would be a crowd and a good night that  could enjoy, with absolutely no care for each individual person? What did I give back to them? When had I ever given back to them?

We often hear that people can sense your aura and your motives whether you try to display them or not. Different energies will gravitate toward you depending on what kind of energy you emit. So, naturally, people that originally were my closest companions had started to drift away from me and I had blamed it on them. So I had just let it go, thinking it was just not meant to be, that I need to 'focus on myself'.

Understanding your values and beliefs is the first step to independence. But there's something so much more important that independence. And that is interdependence. This practice requires so much more discipline and self-control that independence because we often give into the most comfortable, most satisfying instantaneous action. Because it's so difficult to try to see another person's perspective or story when it does not align at all to your values. And it's so difficult to not butt into that with your own bias and truly just CARE and LISTEN. But understanding reaps far more harmony than one-ended blunt conversations. This is the key to trust and interpersonal growth.

No human lives on their own, we are all here on this earth. Regardless of whether we see the same purpose, we are going through and experiencing the laws of the universe. And I'm a strong believer that an individual is just one cell among trillions of other cells all making up the same organism. There's so much potential for growth that can happen through openness and cooperation. I may not be there yet but I'm certainly watching my thoughts to stop old habits, and soon hope I'll be in an environment of reciprocity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is there an emotional brain? Pt.1(intro)

Is there an emotional brain? As much as we like simplicity in models of science, and the locationist view makes things easier for us to understand, research points to the answer that emotions are not localized to one specific brain region or circuit.  The limbic system hypothesis was put forth by Paul MacLean in the 1950s (although some theories led up to this prior such as the Papez circuit). It divides the more deeply fundamental structures with those that are thought to have developed further on in evolution, in ‘higher’ mammals. The limbic system is one component of the triune brain theory that divides the brain up into the neocortex, mammalian brain and reptilian brain. The reptilian brain is proposed to be in charge of responses for survival such as breathing and heart rate. The reptilian brain is called so due to its structures being found also in reptiles. The limbic system is thought to have developed later in evolution and is commonly thought to be the mammalian brain.

history

Sometimes I think to myself whether all of what we are searching for, will be frowned upon in the future, will be laughed at for all of our efforts As this may be some kind of crazy movement created by delusional people. But this shouldn't stunt us from the curiosities and the explorations within the world we are in now. Some beliefs in the past may seem crazy to us now... but this is just humans trying to explain the world from what they see, from the information that we have. And that is the hesitance that comes from scientists making a statement definitive. Because all of this 'truth' may not be so when future explorers look back at our work, But knowing that the reason they stand in their 'developed' position is because we did exploring for   them, into uncertain waters that are clear as ever to them in their present moment.

its like

i have voices inside my head but then i have a consciousness over that voice inside my head that tells me that these are just voices inside my head. its tiring